Monday, December 31, 2012

The Paper Trail

If you’re an American and plan on giving birth in Laos my advice is take lots of photos and save all your receipts.

What they don’t (yet) tell you on the US Embassy website. Although the kind folks at the embassy 
said they will be updating the website with this info. In the meantime..

As of December 2012


If you gave birth in Laos, this is the list of paperwork you need to submit to the US Embassy to report a birth abroad pass on American citizenship. 

Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad

An affidavit of physical presence from the US Citizen Parent. (They give you this at embassy)

Evidence of the US Citizenship of the American parent. One of the following:
US Passport
US Birth Certificate
Certificate of Naturalization
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Or a certified true copy from a notary public of one of the above.

Original identity card or passport of Lao citizen

Original birth certificate. – In Laos you need both from hospital AND from District Office.

Supporting evidence of child’s birth – hospital prenatal records, receipts, sonograms, photos of mother while pregnant.

Evidence of termination of any prior marriage (divorce decree or death certificate)

Marriage certificate AND supporting evidence of relationship – wedding photos etc.

Transmission Requirements – Evidence of residency in US prior to child’s birth. (I brought my high school and college transcripts.

If mother or father is US citizen, evidence that mother or father was with Lao parent during conception. Rental receipts, matching Lao / US immigration stamps, airline tickets, etc.

Appearance of child at embassy, so consular can verify existence.

Fee for paperwork in Cash.

Best wishes! :-)

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Lao Lullaby

River is sleeping. So, it's a good time to add a post...and his Papa is in Pakse for  few days working on an upcoming Art project.... Good point is mama doesn't have to share her laptop... ;)

It's sung to the "Where is Thumbkin?" English song.

Actually, there is a Lao version of Where is Thumbkin, which is where I adapted the lullaby from.

The Lao Thumbkin Version (This is the version we sing at the school I work, maybe you know another)

Kneepo yu sai? Kneepo yu sai?  (Thumb, where is?)
Yu nii neh, Yu nii neh. (Here)
Suk sabaidee bo? (Are you well?)
Suk sabadee bo?
Pai gon der (I go first.. bye)
Pai gon der

River's Lullaby version:

___(insert child's name) _____ yu sai? ______ yu sai?
Yu nii neh, Yu nii neh
Suk sabadee bo?
Suk sabadee bo?
Non lap dee (sleep well)
Non lap dee
Dting dang dong (doesn't mean anything, just sound...)

I think it works ;) But then again maybe River is non kiidtua koi... lying about being asleep....555

Herbal Baby Care - Best gas remedy ever!

It's an herbal "roll-on". The main ingredient is Feruala foetida (botanical name) Asafoetida (English) or Ma Ha Hing in Thai. It's a roll on you can apply a little baby's belly in gentle clockwise circles and wait for him to let out the gas. ;) It was recommended to me by a Thai grandmother and although I was a little nervous to try it, I've used it a few times in the past month with River.

In Thai Herbal Medicine Asafoetida is considered a "hot" herb. Traditionally a poultice would be made of the  resin from the roots.

You can learn more about Thai Herbs in the book "A Thai Herbal" by Dr. Pierce Salguero, my former teacher and friend. You can purchase MaHaHing in Laos at most pharmacies for about 27,000kip.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

KICKSTARTER | Lao American Poetry Book

Love this project, had to share here :)
The more funding it gets the bigger the collection published will be and the more illustrations it will have.