Sunday, August 12, 2012

Goodnight Grandpa

I've been mentally processing this for the past few weeks. My maternal/paternal grandfathers passed years ago, and now my other "grandfather" has passed. This is the second time since I've been in Lao someone close to me has passed. Times like these the space between feels very very large. Ironic that I'm now living in his homeland, and he was living in mine.

Thank you for teaching me about Lao culture.
Thank you for making me laugh with your antics. (Yes, of course, we can collect frogs from the local park..)
Thank you for making me try snake soup.
Thank you for trusting me to help you with your medicine and mail.
Thank you for opening my eyes.

Sleep well.
Grandpa Khammanh

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry because my grandmother passed away in 2009 and she is still very much a part of my life and I do things today that I would hope would make her proud.

    Grandparents are very special in Lao culture.

    *still crying*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very special indeed. Same, he will always be "part" of my life. Don't cry........ *hug*

    ReplyDelete